HomeForums Profile Private MessageLoginRegister

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Jan 19, 2020 - 10:44 AM

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Necessity or Luxury?
Luxury 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
Necessity 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 10:20 AM 
~ Tập Yêu ~
~ Tập Yêu ~

Perhaps it all depends on what you feel is a necessity.

A person buys an expensive watch because all his friends have expensive watch and since he can afford it, it's reasonable that he buys one for himself to fit in better (not that if he doesn't have one, his friends won't except him but if he does, they can talk about it).

A person may buy the expensive watch and drive the corolla instead of a mercedes because mercedes are NOT safer. I watched a safety rating a few years ago and the corolla rank 5 stars out of frive in safety. But if you like the comfortable chair, the comfort when you drive 50 MPH over the speed bumps :) go for the Benz. (My personal preference is Lexus).

As for the watch, I stopped buying casio watches since I got a $90 Seiko watch that looks better and have lasted 5 years compared to the plastic casio bands that break every 6 months arrggg. I hate those casio bands.

Whatever floats your boat.

Post subject: Re: Necessity or Luxury
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 12:32 PM 
~ Tuổi Thơ ~
~ Tuổi Thơ ~

TayDoi wrote:
Are you a necessity driven consumer or a luxury driven consumer... Here's what I mean:

You need a watch to tell time, and in today's world, that's a necessity... But are you going to pay 15 dollars for a plastic Casio even though you can afford to get the $2000 Rolex? Remember, a watch's function is to tell time... Are you willing to pay more for the brand, the name, the prestige, and the of course, for the luxury of having a "Rolex"? Or are you just going to stick with the 15 dollars Casio simply because you don't need a $2000 Rolex to tell you what time it is?

So what's the point of having this survey or poll? To measure how wealthy TT.net members are? After all, it all depends on the personal utility function and preferences of each person. For a very rich person, paying $15 dollars for a Casio will not make him as happy as paying $2000 for a Rolex. It even could be that he feels like throwing away 15 bucks when he buy the Casio because it does not fit him, fit his social status so he ends up not wearing it anyway, what a waste right? So instead, he will buy a $2000 Rolex but wear it everyday and be happy with it. In addition, the difference between $15 and $2000 compare to the wealth of this person is like a very small ratio, so prices do not come into the play of his consuming behavior anymore, rather it's the brand or the luxury of the watch.

As of for now, I do not want a $15 Casio nor a $2000 Rolex because the $15 watch does not give me enough luxury and at the same time I cannot afford the $2000 watch. However, my preference will change over time (maybe toward the $2000 Rolex) as my financial conditions change.

Last edited by Cyb3rT3k on Dec 12, 2006 - 12:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 12:39 PM 
~Too Much Dzê~

TayDoi wrote:
Those are called Cheerios "Ohs" Snow, not zeros... :) And yes, I'd take some more "Ohs" Snow. :lol:

TOMATOS ...TOMAHTOES....

I SEE "ZEROS" YOU SEE "OHS" ...

MAYBE IT'S BOTH ... WHO KNOWS ...

oh ..I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT RHYMES ...

KAKAKKAKA I'M A LOONEY .... I STUDIED TO MUCH ............... :lol: :lol:

HI TD :) :) KHOẺ HUM ?? ... CHẮC ĂN CHEERIOS ĐƯỢC LÀ CÒN TỐT HÍ :) :)

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 03:40 PM 
~ Bé Thơ ~
~ Bé Thơ ~

TayDoi wrote:
And of course it's a personal choice to choose between luxury and necessity, otherwise I wouldn't open this topic in the first place...
hehehe... Don't worry bro, I have plenty of women who are willing to marry me. :) You see, women don't really care if you're a tight person, they only care if you're tight to them or not...

Hey TayDoi,

I guess that we can sit here and trying to debate our different perspectives on luxury and neccessity till the cows come home and there wont be a winning team.....

When money is not an issue to you.....then you can bring this topic up.....because I know that you dont have that kind of money at the moment. With whatever the amount you have saved up......before spending the money you have SAVED, you will think so hard before buying something whether expensive or not......

Society = rich + average + poor.....since I dont know you at all I believe (and being nice) it would be appropriate to put you in average.....because if you are rich (that is 'money is no issue")!!! and that is a big IF eh!!! you would not have opened up this debate......I guess that you just dont know what RICH consists of.....such as social class, style, status......You might be driving a Mercedes, but it still is not a Roll Royce (much safer than Mercedes).....after all, your house is not a mansion and its location is also not in Beverly Hills.......and you dont even get to rub shoulders with the rich and famous......SO, you will never and never be able to understand the quality of a luxury life.....

Good luck with your "personal choice"......!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 03:58 PM 
BANNED

How about Andrew and Taydoi hold hands and walk to shopping at Beverly Hills this Christmas? Big sales there! You guys can meet me at Loehmann's and we can group-hug. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 04:17 PM 
~ Bé Thơ ~
~ Bé Thơ ~

t0fucak3 wrote:
How about Andrew and Taydoi hold hands and walk to shopping at Beverly Hills this Christmas? Big sales there! You guys can meet me at Loehmann's and we can group-hug. ^^

Troi oi, I still am debating whether to hold Tofucake's hand to shop on Fifth Avenue....and now you asked me to hold TD's hand, when knowing that he wont spend big......uuhhhmmmm...DUH!!!!

Group hug....not so sure....when you are looking for a GF.....you really have confused everyone Tofu heheheheh

Ciao bello....but you are still nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 04:57 PM 
~ Biết Yêu ~
~ Biết Yêu ~

TayDoi wrote:
VietsNow: Yes, I've tried motivating myself by reading motivational speeches, success stories, motivational quotes, motivational books, etc... However, none of them seem to be helpful, because no matter how much the person tries to motivate you, i you're not motivated yourself, then it's not going to happen... Motivation starts with the mind, with yourself. And also, I compete not to be better than others or make me feel better about myself for beating others... I'm a competitive person by nature because I enjoy competitions no matter if I win or lose. It's not always about winning or losing, it's about whether or not you enjoy it or not... Again, it goes back to you... Because you are your number one motivator...

Some how, you seem to have all these forms of happiness... But I think a lot of Asians think that way because of the way they're brought up. Asian parents would tell you "Con phải cố gắn lo học cho giỏ để sau này có tiền mua sắm và sẽ có một đời sống sung sướng hơn..." If they keep telling you this for years on end, you'll end up thinking that if you have to have all these materialistic possessions to make you happy... But happiness if with those you love. Many people are confused as to where the source of happiness is, which is why you see a lot of very wealthy individuals being unhappy. So, the primary source of happiness is in your family, in your heart... In those you love.

Of course tiền nào của náy, nhưng nếu của đó không có ích cho mình thì mua làm gì? And why would you want others to look at you in awe? Why pay more for the opinions of others? People cast their opinions on you no matter how you live... Why pay extra for their 2 cents opinions?

Of course, everyone has their own choice... Which is the reason why i posted this topic... That is, I wanted to see other people's opinions...

I understand your motivational point and of course you have to be self-motivated, that is you see/realize something urself, to start acting. However, before you even become self-motivated, there must be something else externally(outer motivational source other than your own) that inspires you and start you thinking. Therefore, originally, the motivational source isn't ur own, but it is an external stimulus that triggers you. That's why sometimes people follow someone else's footsteps whether a son going to med school b/c his father is a doctor or a brother is going to pharm school b/c all his sibs are pharmacists... the precedents are the original sources that trigger that boy to think and become self-motivated. :lol: you know wat I mean?

No TD, to me there are many sources of happiness that's why when I'm disappointed or have failed one thing.. I look for other positive things that cheer me up like saying, "maybe I can't be perfect, I don't have this but I have that." In other words, ideally having this and that, but, for example, although I'm devastated that my family is dysfunctional, I have a great a job, nice car and a great great girlfriend. So are you denying my multiple sources of happiness or you are trying to make point that family is the "PRIMARY" source of happiness, as in family is not the only thing that makes you happy, but it is the most essential happiness? hmm... :kk: ... i don't even know what I sound like anymore...

Nói vớ you mệt quá.... thì of course we, at least for me, buy things that are useful to us... chứ mua junky về chi... all humans like quality stuffs not only b/c they are reliable, but they are luxurious... so who doesn't like them? We buy them for us to enjoy and other to be in awe (maybe not ur intention, but people will be b/c they are quality stuffs) OKIE hiểu chưa? :lol: hết hơi gời...

ừ thì là personal choice.... if TD muốn chose cheap stuffs thì chose i.. ai nói gỉ âu... if it makes you happy .... i say go for it! :kk:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 07:34 PM 
Chủ Trại Dzê
Chủ Trại Dzê

Cho Con wrote:
Perhaps it all depends on what you feel is a necessity.

A person buys an expensive watch because all his friends have expensive watch and since he can afford it, it's reasonable that he buys one for himself to fit in better (not that if he doesn't have one, his friends won't except him but if he does, they can talk about it).

A person may buy the expensive watch and drive the corolla instead of a mercedes because mercedes are NOT safer. I watched a safety rating a few years ago and the corolla rank 5 stars out of frive in safety. But if you like the comfortable chair, the comfort when you drive 50 MPH over the speed bumps :) go for the Benz. (My personal preference is Lexus).

As for the watch, I stopped buying casio watches since I got a $90 Seiko watch that looks better and have lasted 5 years compared to the plastic casio bands that break every 6 months arrggg. I hate those casio bands.

Whatever floats your boat.

True, "necessity" itself is somewhat debatable, but only to a certain point... The example of the Rolex is not a necessity. The person doesn't need the Rolex to get by, it's more like a luxury... Maybe if his job requires that he wears a Rolex, than it would be a necessity...

Well, I don't know... I checked consumers report and MSN cars safety ratings and the Mercedes S & E class are usually safer than many cars out there... Including Corollas...

hehe... Well, the casio was just an exaggerated example, I personally would get a eco-drive citizen... I got my gf one, and it lasts 5 years without the need for battery change...

It's not always whatever floats your boat... Cuz when it comes to money and consumption, people often put the cart before the horse and end up missing the big picture of what the essential things in life are...

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 07:51 PM 
Chủ Trại Dzê
Chủ Trại Dzê

Cyb3rT3k wrote:
So what's the point of having this survey or poll? To measure how wealthy TT.net members are? After all, it all depends on the personal utility function and preferences of each person. For a very rich person, paying $15 dollars for a Casio will not make him as happy as paying $2000 for a Rolex. It even could be that he feels like throwing away 15 bucks when he buy the Casio because it does not fit him, fit his social status so he ends up not wearing it anyway, what a waste right? So instead, he will buy a $2000 Rolex but wear it everyday and be happy with it. In addition, the difference between $15 and $2000 compare to the wealth of this person is like a very small ratio, so prices do not come into the play of his consuming behavior anymore, rather it's the brand or the luxury of the watch.

As of for now, I do not want a $15 Casio nor a $2000 Rolex because the $15 watch does not give me enough luxury and at the same time I cannot afford the $2000 watch. However, my preference will change over time (maybe toward the $2000 Rolex) as my financial conditions change.

Simple, to see where people stand in terms of consumptions... A mini version of consumers reports if you will. But I actually wanted to see how people look at life through the eyes of consumptions... Often time, people become too driven to work hard and spend hard without loving hard... Well, that's just me... I like to see how people think, that's probably my best reason as to why I've posted this question an its poll...

Well, I personally would buy an item only to serve its purpose of meeting my needs, as a necessity... I don't think it's worth buying the Rolex even if I can afford it... It's a waste, because no matter how wealthy I am, I would still feel it's a waste... Bill Gates wouldn't pay a few dollars for parking, but he would donate millions to charity... That's because he feels it's a waste to pay for parking when he can walk a little to get to his destination... Anyways, that's just me, but it's interesting you're willing to spend extra for the social status...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 07:57 PM 
Chủ Trại Dzê
Chủ Trại Dzê

SNOWFLAKE wrote:
TOMATOS ...TOMAHTOES....

I SEE "ZEROS" YOU SEE "OHS" ...

MAYBE IT'S BOTH ... WHO KNOWS ...

oh ..I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT RHYMES ...

KAKAKKAKA I'M A LOONEY .... I STUDIED TO MUCH ............... :lol: :lol:

HI TD :) :) KHOẺ HUM ?? ... CHẮC ĂN CHEERIOS ĐƯỢC LÀ CÒN TỐT HÍ :) :)

hehe... You picked up on my rhymes :lol:
Well, the way General Mills market it was "CHEE-ree-ohs"... so it's the "ohs" :lol: The pronounciation attracts kids and parents...

I'm doing well, thanks... How about yourself?

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 08:24 PM 
Chủ Trại Dzê
Chủ Trại Dzê

andrewphan wrote:
Hey TayDoi,

I guess that we can sit here and trying to debate our different perspectives on luxury and neccessity till the cows come home and there wont be a winning team.....

When money is not an issue to you.....then you can bring this topic up.....because I know that you dont have that kind of money at the moment. With whatever the amount you have saved up......before spending the money you have SAVED, you will think so hard before buying something whether expensive or not......

Society = rich + average + poor.....since I dont know you at all I believe (and being nice) it would be appropriate to put you in average.....because if you are rich (that is 'money is no issue")!!! and that is a big IF eh!!! you would not have opened up this debate......I guess that you just dont know what RICH consists of.....such as social class, style, status......You might be driving a Mercedes, but it still is not a Roll Royce (much safer than Mercedes).....after all, your house is not a mansion and its location is also not in Beverly Hills.......and you dont even get to rub shoulders with the rich and famous......SO, you will never and never be able to understand the quality of a luxury life.....

Good luck with your "personal choice"......!!!!!

I don't see it as a "debate," and I'm not looking to win anything either... The purpose is to put our ideas out on the table and see what we got.. That way, by some odd chance, someone might pick up on something and see things differently, even if they don't admit it... Plus, it's fun to see our differences, that's all...

Well, "money is not an issue" when the person can afford everything he or she needs without an issue... I don't need the extra "luxury", so I don't think money is really an issue for me right now... Some people might need a Rolex, but they can't really afford it, so then it would be an issue for them... Plus, I always think before I spend, no matter if it's the 99cents store or at a high class wine tasting room... Furthermore, many people think before they spend... Bill Gates for example thought that it was not worth it to pay for a 12 dollars parking spot, and I'm sure money is not an issue for him...

Well, your right... I don't live in a mansion in Beverly Hills or rub shoulders with the rich and famous, but again... It's not a necessity. This goes back to the original question, which was "are you going to pay 15 dollars for a plastic Casio even though you can afford..." The key word here is "can", not "if you're a multi-billionaire living in a mansion"... Anyways, however you choose to live is up to you... But I think many people are miss out on the importance of life when they focus too much on materialistic possessions... So, a quality luxury life is being in the luxury of those you love... I don't think it has anything to do with luxurious possessions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 08:33 PM 
Super888

brother Tay Đời cãi hay wá :y2: ur a Lawyer huh :y2:????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 09:08 PM 
Chủ Trại Dzê
Chủ Trại Dzê

Vi3tsNow wrote:
I understand your motivational point and of course you have to be self-motivated, that is you see/realize something urself, to start acting. However, before you even become self-motivated, there must be something else externally(outer motivational source other than your own) that inspires you and start you thinking. Therefore, originally, the motivational source isn't ur own, but it is an external stimulus that triggers you. That's why sometimes people follow someone else's footsteps whether a son going to med school b/c his father is a doctor or a brother is going to pharm school b/c all his sibs are pharmacists... the precedents are the original sources that trigger that boy to think and become self-motivated. :lol: you know wat I mean?

No TD, to me there are many sources of happiness that's why when I'm disappointed or have failed one thing.. I look for other positive things that cheer me up like saying, "maybe I can't be perfect, I don't have this but I have that." In other words, ideally having this and that, but, for example, although I'm devastated that my family is dysfunctional, I have a great a job, nice car and a great great girlfriend. So are you denying my multiple sources of happiness or you are trying to make point that family is the "PRIMARY" source of happiness, as in family is not the only thing that makes you happy, but it is the most essential happiness? hmm... :kk: ... i don't even know what I sound like anymore...

Nói vớ you mệt quá.... thì of course we, at least for me, buy things that are useful to us... chứ mua junky về chi... all humans like quality stuffs not only b/c they are reliable, but they are luxurious... so who doesn't like them? We buy them for us to enjoy and other to be in awe (maybe not ur intention, but people will be b/c they are quality stuffs) OKIE hiểu chưa? :lol: hết hơi gời...

ừ thì là personal choice.... if TD muốn chose cheap stuffs thì chose i.. ai nói gỉ âu... if it makes you happy .... i say go for it! :kk:

hehe... I love it when people think you don't understand them although you perfectly understand them but are just speaking to them in a nice tone and with respect... Hilarious, I know... :roll: :)

Well, I know lots of people whose parents are doctors and lawyers, but they never wanted to be a doctor or a lawyer, they wanted to be themself and make their own choices... It's not always the external stimuli that motivates a person to choose a certain career path. Although the external stimili can give you insight to help make your decisions... We are all unique individuals and our decisions come from our minds, whether you choose to follow someone's foot step or not... Your mind is where most of your decisions comes from, not your environment... Although some people often choose to let their environment do the thinking for them... :lol: Anyways, if you're a thinking person, then it's your mind that motivates you not your environment...

Well, if you choose to look for happiness in materialistic possession, then by all means go right ahead... I'm sure you won't find it there. Many people have committed suicide even though they're among the rich and famous... Simply put, I believe happiness can be found within those you love (not necessarily your family)...

Well of course, that's why I wouldn't buy something for the prestige or the admiration of others... That's because it's like buying junk to me. :) You get my point now? :roll: But if you believe in the idea of "whatever makes you happy", then good luck to you and keep searching... You might find that happiness is simply in those you love someday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 10:10 PM 
~ Tập Yêu ~
~ Tập Yêu ~

TayDoi wrote:
True, "necessity" itself is somewhat debatable, but only to a certain point... The example of the Rolex is not a necessity. The person doesn't need the Rolex to get by, it's more like a luxury... Maybe if his job requires that he wears a Rolex, than it would be a necessity...

Well, I don't know... I checked consumers report and MSN cars safety ratings and the Mercedes S & E class are usually safer than many cars out there... Including Corollas...

hehe... Well, the casio was just an exaggerated example, I personally would get a eco-drive citizen... I got my gf one, and it lasts 5 years without the need for battery change...

It's not always whatever floats your boat... Cuz when it comes to money and consumption, people often put the cart before the horse and end up missing the big picture of what the essential things in life are...

Ha :) made you look up things hehehhe You didn't realize that corolla is one of the safer car out there didn't you?
Either way, I don't think people buy more expensive cars because they're safer :)

Again, depends on what is essential to you. If wearing brand name things give you confidence, then that's your choice.
What do you think of this mp3 player ?
http://www.amazon.com/TrekStor-i-Beat-o ... lectronics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 12, 2006 - 10:10 PM 
~ Tập Yêu ~
~ Tập Yêu ~

I love how it has "free shipping"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next